Natural, comfortable, and stylish, wool carpeting has often been considered a luxury flooring option for premium Columbia homes and remodels. As with any luxury product, there are a number of pros and cons to consider before making the investment. If you’re about to replace the carpeting in your home, you may want to consider wool, but first learn the facts from your team at Floor Coverings International Columbia East.
The Benefits of Wool Carpeting
- Warmth. There is a reason why wool is often used for sweaters and socks. It is a naturally insulating material, making it far warmer than other carpet fiber options. Wool is also quite soft, making it comfortable underfoot. Wool is often used in bedrooms, nurseries, and other areas in which comfort is important.
- Easy to keep clean. Wool carpeting is a durable and naturally stain resistant option. It effectively hides dirt and debris, and yet it clean up very well when vacuumed or treated with a professional deep cleaning. When properly cared for, it will look like new for years in your home.
- Strong. Though wool does have some issues with wear (discussed next), it is typically a very strong and durable fiber. When compared to weaker, synthetic fibers, such as polyester, it can stand up to heavy foot traffic and last a long time.
The Drawbacks to Wool Carpeting
- Price. Wool is the most expensive of all of the popular carpeting options. However, those who want wool and don’t want to pay a premium for it can also acquire wool blends. Wool blends often have many of the benefits of wool carpeting at a fraction of the cost.
- Easy to stain. While wool is naturally stain and moisture resistant, it will also absorb spills when they are not treated right away, making set stains difficult to remove. Compounding this issue, wool may require special cleaning methods and products. Those with wool carpeting will need to clean stains very quickly and may need to regularly invest in professional cleaning services.
- Wear and tear. As noted, wool is particularly strong. But it has some unique types of wear over time that can impact its appearance. Wool tends to be easily impacted by sunlight; it will fade in direct light. Over time, this can become very noticeable. Wool also can experience pilling and fuzzing over time, which can make it appear to be worn even though its structural integrity is still there.
When wool carpeting is used, it’s often best used in bedrooms and other areas where comfort is at a premium. Wool can be prohibitively expensive and it can wear in some noticeable ways, making it best suited to areas that have lower traffic and are not frequently exposed to natural sunlight. However, when wool can be used, it will be a very comfortable and attractive option.
Contact the experts at Floor Coverings International Columbia East for more information about wool and other popular carpet fiber options.
You might also be interested in:
Photo by Kim Eggleton